Wix is a website builder that was founded back in 2006. It is pretty much the largest website building company, as it has over 110 million users and offices in all parts of the world, including the United States, Brazil, Germany, Canada, Ireland, India, Ukraine, and Lithuania.
Like you have probably already guessed, Wix is a fantastic solution if you are looking to create your own website of any type. For example, you can easily create a fantastic blog, a business website, eCommerce store, online portfolio, or pretty much any website you could think of. It’s very nice that you can create your own website and do it with minimum effort, because with Wix you don’t have to understand a thing in programming.
Wix offers you everything you need for a building a website, such as a very user-friendly and intuitive interface, online storage for your site assets, fantastic video backgrounds, a huge number of templates, a convenient store with a bunch of useful apps, animations for titles, a free tariff that lets you create your own website without paying a cent. There is a lot more to it, so keep reading the review.
Who Would Benefit the Most From Wix?
Wix is a great option for those who are looking to create a simple website and do it fast and effectively.
It is the best match for:
- Small online stores;
- Artists and musicians;
- Cafes and restaurants;
- Graphic designers.
- Community centers;
- Personal trainers;
- A lot of other creative professions.
It is also worth mentioning that Wix has its own mobile app, so you can do everything you want on the go.
Wix is similar to a prefabricated house in. It’s like the fundamental structure is already there and you can’t change anything about it. However, it doesn’t mean that you can’t change the color of the walls( pick the perfect theme) and place your own furniture(a bunch of apps that are ready to help you out).
It is very easy to get started with Wix. In fact, it only takes a couple minutes to create your account. All you will need is to enter your real email address and think of a password. Right after that you will be asked about the type of the website that you want to create. It can be a blog, a business website, a music website, and so on. Then you will have to make a choice on how exactly you want to create a website: it can be either done with the help of Wix Artificial Design Intelligence, or you can do it by yourself through an editor.
Wix Artificial Design Intelligence is the best choice for users that have no experience in creating websites and want to get it done as fast as possible. You just have to specify the type of website you want to create, add all of the necessary features, social media stuff, and your website will be created in no time.
If you want to try creating a website by your whole self, then you can do it through a regular editor. You will start off with a template that can be customized in any way you like. There are also a lot of interesting features for pro users that you won’t get with ADI.
However, even though regular editor gives you a lot more creative abilities and freedom, it does have a significant minus. The thing is that if you have selected your template with your standard editor, then you won’t be able to change it during the process. You will have to start over.
Wix is available for free for as long as you want, but if you are in need of professional features like your own domain name or ecommerce, then you must choose from one of their premium plans ranging from “Combo” to “Business VIP”.
There are four most popular plans to choose from:
Connect Domain – $5/month;
Combo – $13/month;
Unlimited – $17/month;
VIP – $39/month.
The most economical Wix plan is the Connect domain, with a monthly price of 5 dollars. Combi, which is the cheapest ad-free plan with a custom domain name costs $13 per month. The most popular is the unlimited tariff for $17 per month. This plan offers you unlimited bandwidth, a free domain, a Site Booster and Form Builder applications, as well as many other benefits. In the highest position of the scale, is the VIP plan that costs $39/month.
But what do these prices mean? Does Wix offer good value for money? The answer is yes! Wix offers lower prices than competitors such as Squarespace and Weebly, and the variety of features in the free plan is wider, which means that you can create a professional website without spending too much money.
A Wix subscription can be paid monthly or annually, and there are five payment options to choose from.
If you decide to sign up for a monthly plan, prices will be slightly higher. Monthly subscriptions do not include benefits such as a free domain name included in most annual plans, or payment applications and promotional coupons that may be offered with these plans.
If you choose an annual plan, you will save from 18% to 36%.
Thus, the choice of the annual plan is much more profitable, especially considering that you have an unlimited period of time to try Wix for free.
82% of new Wix subscribers choose to subscribe to annual plans, which means that only 18% of their customers subscribe to monthly payment plans.
If you like Wix, you can even sign up for a two-year plan, which allows you to save 5% more.
Main features that are available exclusively to premium users:
- Personalized domain name. You can connect your personalized domain name to your website (if you already have one), or buy it directly on Wix. With this feature, the Wix name is simply removed from your URL. This way you will have your own URL;
- Lack of advertising. If you don’t want to have any advertising on your Wix website, then a premium tariff is a must for you. It eliminates all advertising banners that appear on your site in the free version (in particular the favicon tab);
- Premium user support. Premium customers receive responses to requests within a couple of hours;
- Online store. You will have access to the function of creating a full-fledged online store based on a special online commerce platform;
- Increased storage capacity. Mainly refers to the amount of data and traffic that your site can handle and transmit. If you’re going to add a lot of multimedia content to your website, such as images, video and audio, you will need higher bandwidth to speed up the download;
- SSL Encryption: SSL means “Secure Sockets Level”, which means secure connection level. If you have SSL security protocol, any data transferred between your site and your users will remain confidential and protected by encryption. This measure is especially important in the case of online stores, where users log in and make payments using credit cards, etc;
- Site Booster application: this is an application that helps increase your website traffic and improve its positioning. Include your site in the best directories and show information that will help you position yourself better in search engines such as Google. In addition, it measures the progress of your site and periodically provides you with updated information;
- Form Builder application: this application allows you to create custom forms (such as multilingual forms or booking forms, subscription or sale of tickets, online questionnaires, and many others);
- Site Overview: If you subscribe to a VIP plan, a Wix expert can review your site. This option is designed so that you can use it after developing your site, fill it with content and optimize for search engines. It offers you the most useful suggestions that can be made by an expert.
The high quality of ready-made templates and their quantity allow you to choose the one you need in almost any sphere, be it an online store, a service site, a one-page website, etc. These are not just beautiful pictures, but they also functionate very well. It is pretty simple to select the desired one. All of them are divided into types of sites and niches. Separately, there is a review of the most popular ones, as well as new ones:
Those who want to create a design of their site from scratch, can take advantage of clean blanks.
It is worth noting that the templates have a responsive design, and will look equally good on a computer and on a mobile device:
Before you select a template, you can use the preview. An important factor is that the system allows you to use templates and create a website for free.
In addition to standard templates, each user can create their own individual website design, the system offers great opportunities for this:
- Background. This website builder allows to not only use the usual color scheme, but also various pictures. The parallax effect allows you to give the site depth. This possibility is due to the difference in the speed of movement of various objects;
- Menu. You can make it either traditional or with anchors, which is most often used for long pages, landing pages, etc. Anchor allows you to leave a kind of link to a separate block on the page. You can also create a floating menu;
- Lists. Their styles can be customized by the user;
- Video, photo, music. The user can add any images, videos from his computer, Youtube and other video hosting sites;
- Buttons. The system offers a choice of buttons for a site of various sizes and shapes. You can make it rectangular, round, oval or with rounded corners;
- Containers. They allow you to post photos, text, etc., which may attract the attention of the visitor.
- Dividing lines. They help you in creating horizontal stripes. Most often this is applied on landings;
- Styles. Users can upload sliders, panoramas, their own styles and more;
- There is a function of separate editing standard and mobile versions;
- Contacts. The user can create a feedback form, add a map of directions, subscriptions, etc;
- Social networks. There is integration with almost all popular social networks and services;
- Blog. You can customize it based on a ready-made layout;
- Store. It allows you to customize collections, arrange a showcase for goods, connect online payment, enter discount coupons, view orders, set shipping options, currency, language, and more;
- App Market. You can add an application store to your website, which contains many widgets, some of which are totally free.
In addition, the user can insert HTML code and Flash-videos. It is possible to configure the login for users or administrator, the panel of which has ample opportunities and an impressive amount of necessary functions:
The user can edit all of the added blocks, move them around the page, change their size, backgrounds, and more.
At the same time, all functions are clear and simple. Even a novice user shouldn’t have any problems with understanding how everything works. Above each block is an icon with quick access to the FAQ section of a particular item. In addition, there is a step by step instruction.
The service allows you to make an attractive landing page, business card site, online store, blog or forum without any special knowledge. It is enough to have imagination and desire.
The editor is probably the strongest sidef Wix. It is very comfortable and functional, although at first it may cause some confusion. There are some buttons, icons and menu items on all sides, but after spending quite a bit of time studying, you will realize that everything is pretty simple. All editing elements and menu items have tooltips that pop up when you hover over them, so you can quickly familiarize yourself with the functions of the designer.
The editing process itself is carried out directly on the site using a visual editor, drag-and-drop and other convenient HTML5 stuff. Everything changes as you want it to change. Each block and element on the site is individually edited, just click on it and you can change the block design, text, photos, location, size, etc. In addition to all of these terrific aspect, you can use such new-fashioned effective design elements as background video, parallax effect, etc.
Wix applications are essentially functional elements of the site. You are given a rather impressive number of applications of different functional orientations, such as text, galleries, menus, videos, buttons, lists, forms, social networks, a store, a blog, etc. That is, the blocks with information that you can install on the site. Each block has several variations of design and structure and its own settings. All this you can place anywhere on the site and customize as you see it.
In addition, wix has App Market applications from the developers. These are additional applications that you can install on your website. Most of them are available only on premium tariff plans.
Wix has a separate application in the control panel, which will help you set up SEO parameters, prepare the site for effective interaction with Google, Yandex and other search algorithms. Wix SEO Wiz is a step by step wizard of search engine optimization site. All the pieces that are important for this process are collected in one place, conveniently submitted and explained.
The result of ranking pages rather depends on the quality and number of operations performed for search engine optimization than on the engine itself. The advantage of Wix is that the SEO toolkit is conveniently served. It is essentially the same as everywhere else (it’s hard to come up with something new), but its interface is a lot better comparing to other website builders.
The list of steps through which Wix SEO Wiz will take you is as follows:
- Enter the name of your brand;
- The choice of the type of business – with a physical location (you will need to specify the address) or only online;
- Enter five keywords (or phrases) that determine the direction of your business on the Web.
Next, the SEO-master will show you the checklist of what else needs to be done for effective search engine optimization. Each recommendation is described in detail. You can immediately go to the part of Wix where you need to make additions or edits. The checklist can be quite long, even on a test site the wizard can issue about 30 recommendations. Naturally, on a working site with real content, this list may be several times longer. That is, the specification of recommendations is very decent. If you forgot to write the title, description to the material or add an alt tag to the image, then all of these things will pop up in the checklist.
You can also force the site into a queue for indexing Google. Connecting a domain, favicon, SSL protocol and the ability to create 301 redirects can also be considered part of the optimization. Google Analytics, Yandex.Metrica, Pixel Facebook. All of them can be connected in the control panel of the site.
The two most important things when working with Wix SEO Wiz:
- Choose keyword wisely. For this, you can and even need to use Yandex.Wordstat or a similar service. Success directly depends on the quality of the phrases;
- Perform all items checklist wizard. As you add materials to the site, you can periodically update the checklist, looking to make sure that you didn’t miss anything.
In addition to all the developers have implemented a set of technologies known as Wix Turbo, that speed up loading of pages. With the prevailing mobile traffic and not always stable / fast Internet access, the increased website performance will save many clients, improve behavioral factors, the conversion rate and the attitude of search engines to the project.
The general meaning of search engine optimization for Wix is as follows: sites are well indexed, and the SEO-master will help beginners to bring the process to mind, without forgetting anything.
Working with Wix, the user gets great functionality, cool templates and a convenient editor. And, as a result, visitors will certainly want to return to such a site again. And that means that it will fully perform its basic functions and bring money to the owner.